theblogthebiothephotos

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Carnival Rio Style

What an adventure the last month has been. Prior to the furniture surprise, I left off with carnival in Tiradentes and it is now the end of march and I've finally make it back to the computer. In reading through the 557 blog posts on google reader I've missed these past few weeks, early march feels like last year.

Before March, I hadn't been to Rio yet and now I've been twice. I'll try to recap carnival part dois.



Rio is an easy plane flight from Sao Paulo, about fifty minutes and one of the most beautiful landings into a city you can find. Its much easier to truly take in the city upon reflection, while there it is usually too busy. This first trip the weather was mediocre at best but we still attempted the gondola to the top of Sugarloaf (Pao de Acucar).


The view should have looked like this


(photo Wallace Ugulino)




But instead on my camera, I got this. 



but I did get one lucky shot of the beach below when it cleared for a split second...




No worries, I will be back again another time. My father in law's friends picked us up and they live close to Barra and wanted to take us to their new favorite pizza place. Well lo and behold, we pulled up to our very own, Casa Braz! Cariocas can't complain about their pizza anymore, only the prices and the distance it may take to get to this location.

Saturday was spent resting up for the big night at the Sambodromo. We got last minute tickets through friends to the brahma beer camarote (box) for the finals celebration. Arriving home around 730am Alex called it the 8th wonder of the world. We were up close and personal with some of the most beautiful people I have ever seen in my life, both in the tent and dancing down the stadium path. It was simply a magical experience. I ate one too many Rochina popsicles but the sugar and pure beauty of the night kept us going till sunrise. Driving around the bending beach roads as the sun began to rise into a brilliant blue, through Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon with the windows down my hands weaving through the salty air I thought "this is really living in the world."
 















and the sunrise....






I love rio, I love carnival and I just love living here. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those make me want to go to the Samba Dome now. GORGEOUS.

Post a Comment

Always up for a reaction, impression or question?